HERITAGE GROUP MEETING
DATE: Thursday, September 20, 2018
TIME: 10 a.m.
PLACE: Boardroom A137
ATTENDANCE: Leslie Walsh, Chair, Mary Hayes, Secretary, Don Carlson, Bob Vinet, Arnold Kolaski,?Glenn Baldwin, John Reimers, Rose Marie Hess, Lorie Siebrand, Sherry Ripak, Gail Shimonek, Dorothy?Derksen, Karen Wall, Elizabeth Omeniuk, Rose-Marie Floch, Dale Watts, Ron Blicq, Bob Barr, Patricia?Daly, Karen Thorlakson, Gord Mackie, Louis Rodkin, Cynthia, Zelenewich, Mary McIntosh, Deanna?Muller, Elena Grinshteyn, Laura Sinclair.
- Meeting attendees enjoyed coffee and socializing at 9:30.
- Guest Speaker was Shahina Siddiqui, who gave an informative and very interesting presentation on?Islam and Islamophobia.
WELCOME AND CALL TO ORDER
Chair called the meeting to order at 11:35 after a short coffee break and introduced Laura Sinclair as?our new liaison.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA?((Liz Omeniuk, Glenn Baldwin).
ADOPTION OF MINUTES?(Deanna Muller, Rosemarie?Floch)
Minutes were amended as follows: April meeting was chaired by Gail Shimonek, Acting Chair.?Reference to Gail on page 2 of April Minutes should also read Acting Chair.
- Although the Heritage Group Brochure is new, it is to be revised as the College has introduced new?branding. Included will be a group photo of the Heritage Group at the 2018 September meeting.
- Financial Report (Laura Sinclair) As of March 2018, the Restricted Fund stood at $111,630 while the?non restricted fund was at $3,278. Since that time, the Restricted Fund has grown by over $5000 and the?non restricted by $1700. Members are encouraged to make their annual contribution to the?Heritage Group Endowment Fund used to provide aid to needy students. All donations will be?receipted. Please make cheques payable to Red River College.
- Social Committee (Karen Wall) Arrangements are underway for the November 15 Christmas event at?the Prairie Edge in West Kildonan Park. Prairie Edge has agreed to provide adequate space for the?luncheon. Karen and John Reimers have talked to the chef. Tickets need to be ready for the next?meeting.
- There will be a winter event held in February rather than March; suggestions are welcome.
- The Mennonite Heritage Village in Steinbach is being looked at for the May wind-up. There may be a?package available.
- Leslie met with Riva Harrison, Executive Director, Strategic Communications for the College. It was?decided that the Financial Report will be produced quarterly rather than monthly and that the Heritage?Group Newsletter will be available in October, January, and April. The Heritage Group Blog is ongoing?and includes member news.
- Speakers for monthly meetings are printed on the back of the agenda. Michael Champagne cannot be?reached. Marcy Markusa is not yet confirmed. Bob Barr suggested that one monthly meeting could be?devoted to attendees sharing stories about their time at the College.
- Two or three people are needed to attend retirement sessions in the College. Volunteers were: Liz?Omeniuk, Karen Wall, Patricia Daly, and Gail Shimonek.
- Volunteers are needed for the Refugee Program at the College. Contact Laura for information.
- Congratulations to Laura Sinclair who got married this summer.
- Ron Blicq is writing a memoir entitled Oh No! Not Now.
- Liz Omeniuk spoke about her trip to Russia on Viking River Cruises. Highly recommended.
ADJOURNMENT: (Gail Shimonek)
DO YOU HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS?
IF YOU WISH TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS DISTRIBUTION
OR TO UPDATE YOUR ADDRESS
Please Contact Laura Sinclair at 204-632-3031 or email@example.com